Monday, November 10, 2008

Secret Mommy Confession - #2

I am a Play-Group Mommy.

Becoming a mother was not going to change my life. When I found out I was pregnant, I told myself I was only going to gain the minimal weight required. 50 pounds later -- well, okay 65 pounds later... Alright, alright, EIGHTY pounds later I delivered a wonderful little girl.

When I returned to work, I would rush home in the evenings instead of lingering and riding with friends. In fact, my riding times per week went from several horses a day, 5 to 6 times per week to 2 or 3 rides per week if I was lucky.

When I quit working, I told myself I would pick up another job right away. Surely I couldn't stay home and keep my sanity! But as the weeks at home with Lilah trickled by, I was surprised myself by being content just being her Mommy.

One day as we were leaving the gym (I've been going almost daily now), Lilah drug me to the gymnasium where multiple kids were playing. Seeing the kids, I randomly walked in and asked another mom what was going on. She told me it was a play group, and we were welcome to stay.

And now I am a play-group junkie. Lilah, who gets cabin fever if she stays inside more than 18 hrs, is also a play-group junkie. We go twice a week religiously, and I am making friends with the other play-group mommies.

I feel like I'm becoming a stereotypical stay-at-home housewife. I drive my one child around our neighborhood in a gas-guzzling SUV, walk my golden retreiver mix dog while drinking coffee in the mornings, go to play groups, and use it as my social hour with other mommies. Maybe I should just break down and buy the mini-van next. :)

No comments: