Sunday, September 7, 2008

So long Kate

In the realm of horses, there is an old saying : "A few wet saddle blankets makes a good horse." And even though it seems I had Kate for just a very brief period (over the summer), she did get in her share of wet saddle blankets. :)

I picked up Kate (a very green young horse) at the beginning of summer with the goal of putting miles on her. I love the greenies and thoroughly enjoyed this task. If she could talk, I think this is a short list of the things she would tell you she learned.

1. Do anything Sweet P. does

2. Bridges are a safe alternative for crossing water

3. Water can be okay to cross and I will not die if I get a hoof wet

4. Do not spook. It only gets me into more work.

5. Use my brain and think for myself. It's more fun.

6. Yes, I guess I really DO have to get in that trailer.....

7. I can be the fearless leader on trails, and bikers and humans that we encounter will not eat me.

We also got to polish up on arena riding. I would have liked to show her, but no shows matched our schedule.

I returned Kate home after Labor Day weekend. Sweet P is also with Kate. I originally planned on picking her up in a couple weeks, but now I think I might leave Sweet P for a few months and let her detox from being a lesson horse.

That means I am currently horseless. And, since I don't have a job, I am having zero interactions with horses. We'll see how long I last. I'm never very good when I get into situations likes this.....

CIMG2484 In central oregon, 5/08

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Heather... Whatever will you do?! It will be good for Sweet P to get out and be a horse for a while!