Thursday, September 18, 2008

Heather's New Friend

I honestly cannot go for very long without horses. About week #2 with no horses (Sweet P is still vacationing with Kate), I decided to call the owner of the barn I like to board at in the 'Couv and I asked her if she had anything she wanted help with.

And here he is:





I don't know anything about this horse, other than he's completely unbroke. Beggars can't be chosers though! :) This horse was abandoned by his owner a few months back (which, in today's economy, is getting to be fairly common) and the owner of the boarding barn would like me to get him going so that she can get him sold.
Currently, I'm conditioning him from the ground and getting him used to wearing a bridle. He tends to be a little explosive, and is very athletic (meaning when he is scared he does very agile bucks, bolts, and twists in the air) so I'll make sure not to get on him until he's 120% ready.
I'm also taking reining lessons once a week now at a different barn in the Vancouver area. Last week I got to spin on the horse until I was dizzy. I'm hoping between this appy gelding (I don't even know his name...) and the reining lessons I'll be able to get my horse fix. I'm such a junkie....
-H

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA! I knew it wouldn't last long until you found yourself a "project" He looks like he has potential, heck, who knows, maybe if you do all the work, and fall in love with him... lol you may be an appy owner again! Reining, how cool. We are getting this guy to come out to our barn and do reining too... I would love to spin like they do, so cool, but I would need a different horse, Dreamer isn't to "coordinated"!!