Saturday, October 18, 2008

I Did It!!

I have still been working with the 5 year-old unbroken App gelding. I have learned his name is "Whisky", but I don't think the name really fits. So I refer to him as "the app" or "that horse" or simply "Whisk".

He is a challenge to work with -- he is accustomed to doing what he wants, so he likes to tune me out at the drop of a hat and find scary objects to spook at. He also has a little bit of a temper on him, so when I ask for his attention again (or otherwise piss him off) he likes to turn his butt to me and kick out. Bad, bad, bad. He is also super-athletic and can put his feet and body together in an impressive display of bucks, kicks, spins, and bolts.

However, he is coming along. His temper-tantrums are becoming fewer, and he's learning to look to me as the leader (which means he's kicking towards me less) Believe it or not, he is very sweet and friendly, and is very curious about new things. He is also pretty smart (for good or bad) and likes to have a job to do. It is a shame to me that someone just left him in a field to rot for the last four years.

I think it has been about a month now, and he has gone from this:


To this:


To this!! :


Nick helped me climb on him the first time. I got on and off about three times, and each time Nick led the horse (with me on his back) in a small circle back to the mounting block.

The poor horse did a Frankenstein-stagger walk, fish-tailed, and stalled out a couple times with me on him, but never tried bucking or any other explosive maneuvers. Nonetheless, I'm going to go back to ground-driving him until he's more comfortable being steered via reins. Then I'll have Nick come back out and help me some more.

I do like this horse. Anyone know of a good home for him?

No comments: