Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Around the Ranch

When I was in labor with Lilah, there was some time (even before everything went wrong) that I was in a great deal of pain. It wasn't pretty. In fact, it is safe to say I was out of my mind with the pain. In order to re-focus me, Nick told me that I could get another horse (since we sold WonderBoy during my pregnancy).

19 months passed, but I did not forget that promise. (Neither did Nick, and he's since learned not to promise ANYTHING to a woman in labor) In April, we bought the Redemption Horse. He cost us exactly $4.75. (Why that amount is another story completely).

So what did I buy? A fancy show horse? A young althetic horse?

Nope! I bought an old friend -- a horse I had used in a previous lesson program I ran. He's older, he has soundness issues, but he has a heart of gold. I love him to pieces, and I am 100% happy with my choice. I hope we have him till the day he dies. :)




The same day I picked him up, I picked up another horse from the Portland area to potentially be a lesson horse for camp. I didn't get any information on him (no age, name, level of training) but when I saw him, I put him in my trailer immediately. In fact, I was told he was a SHE, and because his poor body condition, I believed it until I saw boy parts when I unloaded him..

Here is his before picture:


And, I'm happy to report -- here is what he looks like today!

He still needs a few more pounds, and my assistant & I are working on conditioning him now. Still no idea on whether or not he'll be used in summer camp, but he is a very nice little horse. I would really like to know when he stopped being fed this past winter....

And finally, isn't this little baby donkey the cutest thing EVER?!?! He was born on Easter Sunday!














1 comment:

Andrea said...

LOL Best 4.75 you EVER spent! I appreciate it! That was an interesting weekend. Glad to see our little rescue horse is looking better. Gahzal has certainly put on weight!!!