Monday, March 30, 2009

On the horse front...



Yesterday I had my first "hands-on" day with the camp's horses. Unfortunately, my first day on the job I had to call the vet for a horse with nasty puncture wound (on his fetlock joint, natch)and I got kicked (by the same horse.) Luckily I jumped backwards as the horse kicked out, so I only got a glancing blow and I wasn't hurt.

With the help of a former camper, I marked all the camp's horses with blue nail-polish on their hooves so I could tell which ones were "mine."

The camp has horses ranging from cute:






To Ugly:

And horses ranging from young (and unbroke):

To old (and un-usable):

(This above horse was at the camp when I first worked there ten years ago. She used to be very spirited and beautiful. I was shocked and saddened to see her now...)
Here is a picture of the corral at camp. You can see the box stalls and riding arena hidden under the snow. Once the snow melts, I'll be bringing the 34 horses back to camp!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

So, When I come visit, I call dibs on the dun paint!!!! He's PURDY!!!! I can't believe there is still so much snow over there. It looks like you have your work cut out for you these next few weeks!!!
Time to weed out some of the horses.... Funny, my verification word was Burro!!