Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Surprise Horse

After a year of running my own business, I got started on buying and selling horses. To be honest, I've developed a reputation for always knowing horses for sale -- now I've just gotten more into the selling part myself. To date, since the beginning of 2010, I have sold 11 horses, bought five, and hopefully permanently secured a long-term care lease on one. (Sweet P.)



One of my most recent purchases was a Draft/Morgan mare, purchased at an auction, bidding against the meat buyer. (Because of her bulk, the meat buyer was VERY interested in taking her to slaughter) I had a chance to look at her before I bid, but there was no information on her. I would like to think I know a good horse when I see one, but I also realize I lucked out too. As it turns it out she was broke to ride: (there's only one way to find out....)



And she was pretty to look at too!


She also had a clever sense of humor. I left her one night tied up while I rode another horse. She did not care of this idea, and calmly dismantled everything within her leg/hoof radius. She even turned herself around (she should be IN the stall area), and this is what I found when I returned to her: (It's hard to see all my grooming brushes strewn everywhere -- but they are there littering the floor!)



I called her "the draft mare" in order not to get attached. She came with no name, but others called her "Surprise", because it was a surprise this is the horse I picked to buy at the auction. But I lucked out in the end -- I owned her for three weeks and sold her for twice what I paid for her. Wish I could do that with every deal....

No comments: