Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Black Dunes!!

All summer long, I heard about the mythical Black Dunes, which was supposed to exist somewhere near camp. The problem was, no one could find them. My assistant director Beth tried three exploration parties before finally locating the dunes, which size-wise is equilvant to three football fields. We scoped it out with Lilah in tow, via truck, and plotted our ride for the next day. The ride turned out to be beautiful, relatively easy, and a fun ride. We had a blast racing our horses back and forth on the dunes, and this day will go down on my list of "favorite trail rides"!!

Lilah "swimmin'!" in the sand:


(Lilah thought she was at the beach. She walked around saying, "Beach. Beach." When I asked her where the ocean was, she answered, "gone?" )

The girls:


"Thanks for finding the dunes, Beth!" Lilah says:


The views:


Upclose of 3 Fingered Jack:


Megan and I rolling down the trail:


Where is our racing strip?

My not-so-speed demon Sweet P. :
(although she DID take off with me at one point -- something she has never done with me in 11 years of riding her. We were headed for home and I let her pick up a canter -- next thing I knew we were hurtling towards the trail back to camp, and she was ignoring my "whoa, dammit!" cues. Thankfully, we were on sand dunes, and I used the runaway trucks idea. Since Sweet P. wasn't going to stop or slow, I turned her up a steep sandy hill the same way a trucker would do on a freeway with a runaway truck. She lost steam pretty quickly after that, and I regained control!) :)
Beth and I:


Megan and I with our 'snorses during our lunch break:



The ride was so much fun I went back out with friends a second time this week. Hope to do this ride again, and again, and again.....

2 comments:

Ellehcim said...

Yay the dunes! Must be fun to let the horses gallop on that stuff!
Is this a "bring your own water", to make sand castles, kinda situation?
:-)

Andrea said...

LOL Olay, now I am officially JEALOUS!!!! Who kew there were black sand dunes in OR?! I am taking this is volcanic rock? I can't believe Sweet P took off with you!! At least you used your "runaway" horse ramp concept! Can't wait to see you guys when you get home!!! Only two weeks(or so). Not like I am counting though!!!