Thursday, July 16, 2009

Horsin' around in the Corral

Now that I have two camp sessions completed and under my belt, I feel like I'm getting a fuller understanding of my new job, which in many ways is a lot different from my last job. Here are pictures from our "trail riding day", in which we take the kiddies out on trail rides.

Here is my staff member Courtney, ready to take my horse out on the trail. I have had to tell people to back off of his use. He's such a nice guy that everyone wants to use him, but I'm trying to keep him on semi-retirement while at camp!




Group shot of just some of the horses ready to go. I couldn't get all the horses in one picture!
Uh, did we forgot something here? Like a rider?!?! This picture cracks me up -- in all the chaos someone walked away from "Whitey", and he stood at the mounting block for at least ten minutes until I noticed no one was holding him. What a good boy!
I am working crazy hours, and I am thankful Nick brings Lilah down to the corral to hang out with me on the weekends so that I can see her! I'm also thankful I have a great horse staff who are willing to jump in as baby-sitters and treat it as part of their job duties! Here Lilah draws all over the lesson board with Hannah.


I also have a project baby! I love (horse) babies, and "the Dude" just turned 3 this spring. I started him under saddle, and this picture was taken right before I took him out on a real trail ride. He is very laid-back, hence the name "the Dude", which is taken from a movie character in "The Big Lebrowski". Currently I am teaching him to give to the bit and how to steer, especially at the trot. He is coming along, and I'm having fun working with another baby!

Doesn't he look like a ball of fire? :)



No comments: