Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Story of the Flying Poop

I've always wondered what would happen if Lilah should poop while I was changing her diaper. Last night I finally found out....



I woke up at 4:30am thinking, sweet -- it looks like L is going to sleep through the night. (She has started to occasionally sleep through the night) I woke up about 40 minutes later to Lilah making her "freakishy happy" sounds as Nick calls it. So, I went into her nursery, changed her diaper, fed her a bottle, and was rocking her back to sleep when I heard her making the unmistakable sounds of a diaper being filled up.



Okay, so I'll change her diaper again, I thought. Unfortunately, I was a little quick on the draw. I waited until I thought she was done defecating, but as I pulled the old diaper off, she let loose another hot stream of poop.



My hand was already covered and poo had already splattered on the floor before it registered in my mind what had happened. Later, I was impressed with the speed and impulsion this baby
had used while pooping. The poo had literally flown halfway across the room, covering everything in its path. A tiny miracle of miracles -- the poo stopped just a mere two inches from her stuffed animals on the bookshelf.

I couldn't help it -- I yelled as soon as I realized what had happened. My yell startled Nick to wake, and after asking if I needed help, he wandered into the room. I was still in shock because Nick had to ask me what had happened. (Luckily, he unknowingly managed to avoid walking in the poop as he entered the nursery.)

So, Nick set to cleaning the baby up and I set to cleaning the poop up, starting first with washing my poo-filled hand. Even Simon wanted to help clean up -- he is very conscientious about dirty things on the floor anyway, but Nick and I chased him out.

Nick and I laughed and Lilah made her freakishy-happy sounds while we cleaned the mess up. If you had told me a year ago that I would one day laugh at 5:30 am while cleaning up baby poop off my hardwood floors, I would have told you that you're nuts. First off, I'm usually very squeamish about body functions such as blood, vomit, and poop. Second, I'm am really not a morning person. (I mean, really, I picked a career where my work day starts at 11am) But there is a certain charm to having a baby in the house and I wouldn't trade my new little family for anything. I love this blessed life, with flying poop or not.

-Heather

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think she's just practicing for when uncle Erik comes to visit.

"Oh, hey LilaaaaAAAHHHH!"

*splat*

Nicole said...

And that's only the beginning!

Now excuse me while I go clean M's poo out of the bathtub. Again.

Naomi said...

Wow...Mommy and Heather...you're kids are weird. Mine never did that.

Nana said...

bComment on the last comment-maybe your kids never did that BUT you did!! On a lovely green couch!!